NEBOSH (National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health) is a UK-based independent examination board that offers a range of health and safety qualifications. NEBOSH qualifications are highly respected and recognized internationally and are often required for individuals working in health and safety roles or for those who want to gain a deeper understanding of occupational health and safety principles and practices.
There are several different NEBOSH qualifications available, including the NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety, the NEBOSH IGC International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety, and the NEBOSH Health and Safety at Work Qualification. These qualifications cover a wide range of health and safety topics, including risk assessment, fire safety, and hazardous substances.
To take a NEBOSH certification, individuals must typically complete a course with a NEBOSH-approved training provider and pass a written examination. The length and format of the courses vary depending on the qualification and the training provider. Some courses may be conducted entirely online, while others may be a combination of online and in-person learning.
NEBOSH certifications are useful for individuals who want to improve their knowledge and skills in the field of health and safety, as well as for employers who want to ensure that their employees are adequately trained in health and safety practices. NEBOSH qualifications can lead to career advancement and higher salaries for those working in health and safety roles and can also be beneficial for those who want to start their health and safety consulting business.
Overall, NEBOSH certifications are a valuable investment for anyone looking to improve their knowledge and skills in the field of health and safety.
About NEBOSH Certifications/courses:
There are several NEBOSH qualifications available, including the NEBOSH National General Certificate, the NEBOSH International General Certificate, and the NEBOSH National Construction Certificate. Each of these qualifications has a specific focus and is designed for different audiences.
The NEBOSH National General Certificate is a generalist qualification that covers a wide range of health and safety topics. It is suitable for individuals who work in any industry and want to learn about health and safety management. The NEBOSH International General Certificate is similar to the National General Certificate, but it has a more international focus and is suitable for individuals who work or plan to work outside the country.
The NEBOSH National Construction Certificate is specifically designed for individuals who work in the construction industry. It covers topics related to health and safety in construction, including site management, risk assessment, and the safe use of plants and equipment.
Obtaining a NEBOSH qualification requires completing a course of study and passing an examination. NEBOSH courses are typically delivered by approved training providers and can be taken on a full-time or part-time basis. The length of the course depends on the qualification and the training provider.
NEBOSH certifications are highly respected in the field of health and safety and are often a requirement for certain roles or to progress in a career. They can also help organizations meet their legal obligations and improve their health and safety performance.
In summary, NEBOSH is an independent examination board that offers a range of health, safety, and environmental management qualifications that are recognized internationally. These qualifications are designed to help individuals and organizations improve their health and safety performance and meet their legal obligations.
What is NEBOSH IGC?
The NEBOSH International General Certificate (IGC) is a globally recognized qualification that provides a broad understanding of occupational health and safety issues. It covers the management of international health and safety, identification and control of workplace hazards, and practical application of this knowledge.
NEBOSH IGC Certificate has designed on principles of International HSE standards and International Labour Organization (ILO) codes of practices, and it splits into 2 units such as,
- Management of International Health and Safety (IG1)
- Risk Assessment (IG2)
The course is usually taught through a combination of classroom-based study and self-study, and it is typically assessed through a written examination and a practical assessment.
Upon successful completion of the NEBOSH IGC course, individuals may be able to work in a variety of occupational health and safety roles, such as health and safety advisor, risk assessor, or health and safety officer. The qualification is also recognized by the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM) and may help individuals progress toward membership in professional bodies such as the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) or the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH).
Let me throw some more light on NEBOSH IGC Courses.
- Management of International Health and Safety (IGC1):The International General Certificate (IGC) in Occupational Health and Safety is a qualification that aims to provide a basic understanding of health and safety principles and practices in the workplace. The IGC1 course, also known as “Management of International Health and Safety,” covers the foundations of health and safety management and is designed for those who have a responsibility for health and safety in the workplace.
The IGC1 course covers the following topics:
- The role of the health and safety practitioner
- Health and safety policy and procedures
- Risk assessment and control
- Health and safety legislation
- Accident investigation and reporting
- Fire safety
- Workplace health, safety, and welfare
- Chemical and biological health hazards
- Physical and psychological health hazards
- Musculoskeletal health hazards
Upon successful completion of the IGC1 course, candidates will have a basic understanding of health and safety management and will be able to contribute to the development and implementation of a health and safety management system in their workplace.
- Risk Assessment (IG2): The IG2 element of the NEBOSH IGC covers risk assessment in more detail, including the principles and process of risk assessment, the identification and evaluation of hazards, and the selection and implementation of controls to manage risk.
Risk assessment is an important part of health and safety management, as it helps organizations identify and evaluate potential hazards and determine the appropriate measures to control those risks. A risk assessment is a systematic evaluation of the potential risks associated with a particular activity, task, or situation, and it involves considering the likelihood and consequences of those risks occurring.
The process of risk assessment typically involves the following steps:
- Identify the hazards: The first step in risk assessment is to identify the hazards that are present in the workplace or activity being assessed. This involves looking at all aspects of the work environment, including the tasks being performed, the equipment and machinery being used, and the materials and substances being handled.
- Evaluate the risks: Once the hazards have been identified, the next step is to evaluate the risks associated with those hazards. This involves considering the likelihood of the hazard occurring and the potential consequences if it does occur.
- Determine the controls needed: After the risks have been evaluated, the next step is to determine the controls that are needed to manage those risks. This may involve implementing engineering controls, such as installing guards or barriers, or administrative controls, such as implementing policies and procedures.
- Implement the controls: Once the controls have been determined, the next step is to implement them in the workplace. This may involve training employees on the controls, updating policies and procedures, or installing new equipment or machinery.
- Review and update: Risk assessments should be reviewed regularly to ensure that they are still relevant and effective. If any changes are made to the workplace or the activities being carried out, the risk assessment should be updated to reflect those changes.
The IG2 element of the NEBOSH IGC covers these steps in more detail and provides learners with the knowledge and skills to conduct effective risk assessments in their workplace.
Want to know more about the fire and safety course, diploma in fire and safety, certificate of fire safety, fire engineering course, or safety officer course from Government certified Fire and Safety Management College and NEBOSH Certified Silver Learning Partner for IG Certification? Stay tuned and refer to our safety training course’s details & more about us below.
“Parmanand College of Fire Engineering & Safety Management” is Pune’s best Fire engineering & Safety management college.
Recognized By the Government of Maharashtra & Affiliated to Maharashtra State Board of Technical Education (MSBTE)- Mumbai (at Borivali)
AEERO – CTR – MSME (Government of India Organization) Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises.
MSBSDE (Maharashtra State Board of Skill Development)-Government of Maharashtra
Silver Learning partner (1653) of NEBOSH- National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health
J.S.S.- earlier sponsored by the Ministry of H.R.D. Government of India, New Delhi
Join PCFSM & give your Fire Engineering & Safety Management carrier to a new wing with the Government of Maharashtra recognized & affiliated to the Maharashtra State Board of Technical Education, Mumbai (Borivali).